Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cooking Times and Temperatures

I like to put my stone in the oven and preheat to 475 degrees. I usually would like the oven on for at least half an hour at that temp before baking. My cooking time can be anywhere from 9 to 14 minutes at this temp with the stone. It is great to have a large long spatula to lift the pizza up and check the bottom for color. You want it browned but not burnt. If you have just bought your pizza stone then keep it in the oven even when you are not using it and let it get dark. The darker, the better and don't wash it with soap. If you get burnt cheese or things on it, use your spatula or dough scraper to get that stuff off. A well seasoned stone makes a really great pizza! I think Drew and Stephanie use 500 degrees to do theirs but as I mentioned, it really depends on your oven. Do what works for you.

2 comments:

  1. We set ours to 500 degrees and the pizzas cook in about 8 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I sent the oven to 600 degrees and the pizza came out even better. It took about 5 minutes to cook.

    I've heard some people cooking on the Self Cleaning setting. I don't think I'll be trying that.

    ReplyDelete